Am I covered for Household Removal?

We'll pay for accidental loss or damage to your contents that occurs during their permanent removal by professional removal contractors from your home to your new permanent home within the UK.
We don't provide cover for fragile items unless packed by professional packers. We don't provide cover for money or valuables, including: jewellery, watches, furs, gold, silver or other precious metals, stamps, coins or medals that belong to you or your household.
Accidental Damage cover will only be provided for contents while in the course of removal if Accidental Damage cover has been selected. Cover is only provided if customers are moving within the UK. We do not provide any contents cover whilst being shipped.