I have been a victim of domestic abuse, what should I do with my policy?

If you are in immediate danger, please call 999 and ask for the Police.

Silent calls to the police will work if you are not safe to speak u2013 use the Silent Solution System and call 999 and then press 55 when prompted.

Emergency Text Service: If you canu2019t use a voice phone, you can register with the police text service - text REGISTER to 999. You will get a text which tells you what to do next. Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger.

At esure we want to help however we can. We understand changes may need to be made to your policy and we want ensure your safety when doing this.

We ask that you please call us on:

Car - 0345 045 1000

Home - 0345 607 7290


You can speak to our Live Chat Team (theyu2019re online Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 9am-2pm). If theyu2019re available there will be a button below. If there isnu2019t a button, they may be a bit busy, so please try again after a few minutes.