What do I need to know about my travel insurance after 1st January 2021?

Your travel insurance will continue on the same terms, despite the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) being replaced by the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). 

Once your EHIC has expired, you’ll be able to replace it with a GHIC.

This will ensure that you can still get 'necessary healthcare' from state services when you’re visiting an EU country.

For further information on the changes to the EHIC and wider considerations for travel in Europe, please visit the Government website.

General European travel information:


Specific information on applying for a GHIC:


It is important that whenever and wherever you travel that you have adequate travel insurance which covers your specific needs, including any known medical conditions or activities you plan to do. You should also check the detail of the policy around travel disruption including delays or cancellations as policies do vary. You should keep your travel insurance documents or the emergency medical assistance contact number with you.

In the event of severe travel disruption at ports or airports, customers are being advised that airlines, travel agents or credit card providers would be the first port of call for financial compensation.